Roasted Beet and Romaine Salad w/ Dijon Vinaigrette
- 5 medium size beets
- 2 Tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 head Romaine, washed and rinsed, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup walnuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash and dry beets. Cut off the tips and ends.
3. Place beets in foil, drizzle with safflower oil and seal foil tightly.
4. Cook beets for 45 minutes until soft. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. Once cooled, peel beets by rubbing with a paper towel. Cut into bite size pieces.
6. Cut 3 inches off base of the endive; this portion is very bitter.
7. Tear endive into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Add beets, onions, and walnuts.
8. In a small bowl, whisk together Dijon Vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over salad and toss. Enjoy!
Yields: 4-5 servings
BBQ Mock Chicken Salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
This Southwest salad is sure to please all year long. Garnish with some avocado and crushed tortilla chips for added flair.
- 1 (12-ounce) package vegetarian chicken strips (or regular chicken), chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 5-6 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup sugar plum tomatoes, whole
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese
Chipotle Ranch Dressing:
- 1 ½ cups Veganaise (Mayonaise without egg)
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tablespoon shallot
- ½ lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tablespoons – ¼ cup Chipotle hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl add chicken, corn, BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper. Toss together until well combined. Spread evenly on baking and bake for 20-25 minutes.
3. Place lettuce, red pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, cabbage, and shredded cheese in a large salad bowl.
4. Combine all Chipotle Ranch Dressing ingredients in a food processor (or blender) until smooth and creamy.
5. Once roasting is done remove chicken and corn and let cool slightly. Once cooled, toss in with salad ingredients.
6. Toss in Chipotle Ranch Dressing so it’s evenly distributed throughout the salad. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Yields: 4-6 servings
This simple and refreshing drink can be easily adapted to include your favorite fruits!
- 1 (32-fluid ounce) jar mixed berry juice
- 2-3 cups sparkling mineral water
- 1-2 cups mixed fresh or frozen fruit
- Ice, as needed
Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher or punch bowl. Enjoy!
Yields: 6-8 servings
CONTACT US AT #(808) 948-8722
Moiliili Professional Building
2525 South King St.,
Honolulu, HI 96826
(3rd floor of "Down to Earth" Natural Food Store)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
8 am - 12 pm; 1 pm - 4:30 pm
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:
8 am - 12 pm