Quinoa Patties with Spicy Yogurt Sauce
Get all the benefits of whole grains without any gluten! Antioxidant rich millet and “complete protein” quinoa make a dynamic duo in this tasty wholesome dish.
Spicy Yogurt Sauce:
-1 cup yogurt of choice
-1-2 tsp cayenne-1-2 tsp paprika
-1-2 tsp hot sauce of choice
-½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
-½ cup millet, rinsed and drained
-4 cups water + 4 Tbs
-2 Tbs ground flax seeds
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp paprika
-¼ cup chickpea flour or any gluten-free flour + more if needed
-1 carrot, grated
-1 cup finely chopped kale
-¼ cup finely chopped onion
-1/3 cup quick oats
-¼ chopped parsley
-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. In a small bowl, whisk Spicy Yogurt Sauce ingredients well. Cover and let chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, toast quinoa and millet for 2 minutes.
3. Add 4 cups water to pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes. Mixture should be on the drier side. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool completely.
4. Whisk together 4 Tbs water with ground flax seed in a small bowl until a runny consistency is achieved. Set aside.
5. Combine cooked grains, seasonings, flour, and vegetables in a food processor. Process until well combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
6. Stir in oats and flax mixture. Patty mixture should be sticky. Form mixture into about a dozen 1” thick patties. If mixture is too moist, add a few Tbs of flour. If mixture is too dry, add a few Tbs of olive oil. Prepare all patties before cooking.
7. Coat a large non-stick skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Cook patties in batches to prevent over-crowding. Fry patties for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
8. Once patties are cool, top with a dollop of Spicy Yogurt Sauce and chopped parsley. You can also keep cooked patties in the refrigerator for a few days.
Yields: 4-6 servings
Smoked Vegetarian Apple Sausage w/ Swiss Chard & Shiitake Mushrooms
(topped with Miso dressing)
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 vegan sausage links, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 5-6 Shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch rainbow Swiss chrad, chopped
- 3 Tbs miso paste
- 1/2 tsp agave
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 3/4 cup water
1. Whisk together all Miso dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Stir in onions. Season with salt and pepper and saute until onions soften - about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add in vegan sausage slices. Saute until brown and crispy - about 5-6 minutes.
5. Lower heat to medium and stir in garlic, ginger, and Shiitake mushrooms. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until softened.
6. Add in Swiss chard and cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly wilted.
7. Drizzle Miso dressing evenly over mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and let cool. Serve and enjoy!
Yields: 4-6 servings
Give us a call at:
Moiliili Professional Building
2525 South King St., Suite 303
Honolulu, HI 96826
(3rd floor of "Down to Earth" Natural Food Store)
Mon, Wed, Fri:
8am - 12pm, 2pm - 6pm
Tues, Thur, Sat:
8am - 12pm
Check us out on Facebook at Taira Chiropractic!
Also, find us on Yelp at Taira Chiropractic and please leave us a review on our office and your chiropractic care! Let's help others discover chiropractic!