March 2012 Menu:
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Baked Huli Huli Tofu
Greek Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is a protien packed, low glycemic grain that everyone will love. With your summer picnics right around the corner, this refreshing dish is a winner! Special thanks to Mama T from 'Down to Earth' for sharing this recipe with us!
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons agave
1. Pour water into a saucepan and stir in quinoa
2. Bring the liquid to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed.
3. Remove quinoa from heat and let cool.
4. Place quinoa in a large bowl once cooled. Add remaining ingredients, except dressing.
5. Add dressing ingredients in a small bowl, whisk together with a fork and pour over salad.
6. Mix well and enjoy!
Baked Huli Huli Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed dry
- 1/3 cup ketchup1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dashes of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes of chili paste (optional)
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1.Preheat oven to 400°.
2.Cut tofu into ¼” cubes. Transfer to a large airtight container.
3.Combine remaining ingredients together in a large bowl to make huli huli sauce. Mix well.
4.Pour half of the sauce over tofu. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Set aside remaining sauce.
5.Place tofu on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crispy. Every 15 minutes, carefully remove sheet from oven to flip tofu and to drizzle a few spoonfuls of sauce over. Return to oven.
6.Carefully press tofu with a fork to see if desired texture is achieved. Once done, remove from oven and let cool.
7.Serve with brown rice, green salad and a vegetarian macaroni salad for a yummy plate lunch. Enjoy!
Yields: 4-5 Servings
CONTACT US AT #(808) 948-8722
Moiliili Professional Building
2525 South King St.,
Honolulu, HI 96826
(3rd floor of "Down to Earth" Natural Food Store)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
8 am - 12 pm; 1 pm - 5 pm
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:
8 am - 12 pm