Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat olive oil over medium low heat and add onion and saute until softened. Stir in garlic and saute until tender – about a minute.
2. Add vegetable broth. Raise heat and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in pumpkin, cinnamon and ginger and mix well. Allow to boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
This hearty dish is inexpensive and absolutely delicious!
- Extra virgin olive oil
* 1 cup vegetable broth
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme
* 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
* Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups diced unpeeled potatoes, about 3-5 potatoes (Yukon Gold or Russet preferred)
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2-3 carrots, shredded
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- ½ cup peas
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- Pinch of paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a casserole dish with olive oil.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together all Cream Sauce ingredients. Set aside.
3. Place diced potatoes in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. The potatoes should be falling apart on their own, not just fork tender. Drain and rinse.
4. While potatoes are cooking, heat 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, and peas until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in Cream Sauce and cook for a few more minutes or until warmed through. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish.
5. Using the same stockpot used to cook the potatoes, set burner to medium heat. Add potatoes back in. Stir in butter, milk, sage, and rosemary until fully incorporated. Mash potatoes using a potato masher until smooth.
6. Using a spatula, dollop mashed potatoes over vegetable mixture. Carefully spread the potatoes out evenly over the filling – all the way to the edges.
7. Sprinkle paprika, salt and pepper over topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes turn golden brown. Let cool for 8-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Yields: 4-6 servings
A flavorful vegan version of a classic gingerbread cake. Add the Spiced Molasses Frosting for a beautiful dessert.
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- ½ cup molasses
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup sucanat or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons agave nectar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2-3 Tablespoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Frosting of choice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk ground flaxseeds with water.
3. Add coffee, molasses, coconut oil, sucanat, agave, and pumpkin until smooth and whisk until smooth.
4. In another bowl, mix flours, baking soda, spices, and sea salt and combined. It will be a thick batter.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes, checking with a toothpick at 35 minutes. Cool completely on reacks before frosting with your favorite frosting or with our Spiced Molasses Frosting. Enjoy!
Yields: 8-10 servings
Spiced Molasses Frosting
Use this delicious frosting on our Gingerbread Cake or any dessert that might need a tasty frosting!
- ¼ cup Earth Balance margarine, room temperature
- 1-2 Tablespoons soymilk
- 1 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon + more if desired
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup ground toasted pecans (optional)
1. In a large bowl, whip Earth Balance, milk, molasses, and cinnamon until fluffy.
2. Sift in powdered sugar in increments, whisking until well blended.
3. Spread onto cooled gingerbread or dessert or choice. Sprinkle with toasted nuts and more cinnamon if desired. Enjoy!
Yield: ¾ cup frosting, can frost an 8-inch cake
CONTACT US AT #(808) 948-8722
Moiliili Professional Building
2525 South King St.,
Honolulu, HI 96826
(3rd floor of "Down to Earth" Natural Food Store)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
8 am - 12 pm; 1 pm - 4:30 pm
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:
8 am - 12 pm